The A to Z of Dog Shows
In April of 2015 I took the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. For the entire month I shared everything I knew about dog shows -- in alphabetical order! Below are those 26 posts.
- All About Dog Shows
- Breed Standard
- Conformation Shows
- Dress the Part
- Important Paperwork
- Kooky Things Show People Do
- Name That Dog!
- Other Dog Sports
- Pedigrees and Registrations
- Questions To Ask BEFORE Buying a Puppy
- Running Around the Ring
- Teeth to Tail
- Undesirables (Faults and DQs)
- Vaccinations, Diseases and Parasites
- X-Rays and Genetic Tests
- You Should Know . . .
- Zero Apologies
Putting on a Dog Show
In April of 2018 the German Shepherd Dog Club of North Florida is putting on two conformation dog shows. The two women who've done it in the past quit, leaving very little to go by. A couple of us are trying to put on the show by the seats of our pants. Here are some things we're learning along the way, should you ever be in a similar situation.
- The Show Must Go On
- Step 1 -- What, When, Where
- Step 2 -- The Committee
- Step 3 -- Judges
- Step 4 -- The Premium
Other Blog Posts
- Dog Show 101 -- A basic overview.
- Putting on a Show, Part 1 -- The Show Secretary, Show Chairman and some basic terminology.
- Putting on a Show, Part 2 -- What goes on behind the scenes. It's more than you think.
- Calculating Points -- Short answer: a dog needs 15 points to make Champion. Long answer: calculating the points can be confusing. I try to explain it in plain English.
- Advice From Veteran Fanciers -- Showing ain't cheap! But I've collected some tips to help keep the cost down.
- What's in the Box? -- A dear friend shared what she keeps in her tack box.
- CHIC Jedi -- What is the OFA Canine Health Information Center (CHIC) database? And why should you know before buying your next puppy?
- The German Shepherd Dog Club of America -- This is THE place to get info on AKC GSDs.
- The German Shepherd Dog Club of North Florida, Inc. -- This is my local breed club. It's a great place to meet other GSD enthusiasts in Northeast Florida.
- The German Shepherd Dog Club of North Florida, Inc. Facebook page. This is the best place to find out what the Club is doing. We also share interesting articles, highlight dog-friendly things to do in Northeast Florida and cross-post events hosted by other dog clubs in the area.
- The Importance of Presentation -- An excellent article (with pictures and video!) on stacking a German shepherd.
- Info Dog -- This is where I find all the dog shows I either watch or participate in.
- The International All-Breed Canine Association (IABCA) -- Another dog show organization. IABCA holds European style shows where dogs are judged against the breed standard and handlers are given written critiques.
- K-9 Obedience Club of Jacksonville, Inc. -- This is where Jedi and I train. We suck, but there are a bunch of great people who don't suck, and swear we can get better.
- Questions to Ask When Purchasing a Puppy -- Pine Hill Kennels has the most comprehensive list of pre-purchase questions I've ever seen, including detailed explanations of health tests and certificates.
- Make Your Own Dog Show Survival Kit -- A fun and informative post of those little "must have" items.
- Movement in the German Shepherd Dog -- Mar Haven Shepherds dissects the flying trot in words and pictures.
- Zente's German Shepherds -- Jedi's breeder!