Thursday, November 3, 2016

Back in the Ring

We're trying to do this again!
It's been a year since Jedi and I have been in a conformation ring. I've contemplated neutering him and ending his show career permanently. While I was busy waffling I got notice that the International All-Breed Canine Association (IABCA) shows were coming back to the area. We really enjoyed them last year and friend convinced me to do it again.

IABCA shows are good for the novice/insecure exhibitor (like me). They provide an opportunity to show dogs in a relaxed atmosphere. A primary focus of the IABCA shows is education and a sharing of knowledge between the exhibitors and the judges. The shows ae smaller and exhibitor is given a written critique encompassing 12 different parts of a dog's body and movement. Each dog is judged against the breed standard. The judges enjoy the shows because they can take the time to talk to each exhibitor without the time limits seen at AKC shows.

It's a two-day show, but Jedi and I are only showing on Saturday. My work schedule is crazy and I can't take Sunday off. (I'm STILL training New Guy. He's just not "getting it" and Boss is too stubborn to cut him loose and start over.) Even more frustrating, Hubby has a gig this weekend so Jedi and I are going to Ocala alone. The friend who talked us into entering the show will be there, but her work schedule has her leaving Jacksonville late Friday. And she's bringing three dogs so we'll be in separate hotel rooms. Long-story-short: I'm nervous!

I've got a lot to share, but not enough time. (The story of my life!) It's Thursday morning and I need to cut this short. Jedi and I have nosework class in an hour, then we need to start grooming and packing. And we should probably practice stacking and gaiting. You'd think that four years into this dog show thing I'd have my shit together! But then again, if I weren't such a hot mess this blog would be a lot less interesting, right? I'll keep you posted. -- K

P.S. If you happen to be near the Greater Ocala Dog Club grounds on Saturday, stop by and say "Hi"!

No comments:

Post a Comment