Thursday, January 29, 2015

I Don't Multitask Well

A lot has happened since my last post. (I can't believe that was two weeks ago!) First and foremost, an extended family member died unexpectedly. Rocky was my mother's best friend and a part of my life for almost 40 years. She had a quick wit and a sharp tongue, plus the courage to say aloud the things most people just think. She had been through some rough patches lately and was estranged from one of her children when she died. I always thought that there would be time for things would turn around and they'd make amends. Rocky's sudden death has prompted all of us to examine our own mortality. So what does that have to do with this blog?

First off, my mom has decided that now is the time to pass down all those family recipes. She has enlisted me, her sisters and my cousins to write a family cookbook. She even found a great website to help. I've spent the last two weeks combing through all my recipes picking the best ones to pass down to my children and future grandchildren. It's not easy because a lot of the recipes are "add some of this and a bit of that." I've been cooking and baking lately, trying better to accurately measure and write down ingredients. It's tedious, but I can't wait to see the final product.

Jedi and I are in training classes twice a week. We're still doing nose work on Monday nights. And now we're working towards our Canine Good Citizen (CGC) title on Wednesdays. In between classes I'm trying to do several homework/training sessions. Let me tell you, CGC isn't as easy as it looks! At least not with Jedi. But I love this trainer, and she's set up the classes in a way that the dogs (and their frustrated handlers) will succeed. I'll share more of this process as time goes on.

Several weeks ago I lamented over whether or not to continue Jedi's Conformation career or to switch paths. Thank you everyone who chimed in with advice and words of encouragement. And thank you to those who didn't but sent a prayer or happy thought my way. I appreciate it more than I can say. Anyway, Rocky's death has made me realize that tomorrow isn't promised so I should get off my tush and move forward. (Seriously, I can think something to death without ever doing a damn thing!) I'm giving myself 14 months to see if we have what it takes. We'll start up again with the German Shepherd Dog Club of North Florida's specialty shows in April and then reevaluate in a year. Looking back, there are many things I should have done with Jedi in the very beginning (more stacking, better gaiting) and overcoming these at 2 years old might be difficult. I guess we'll just have to find out. Either way, I'll share.

And on that note, I'm entering the 2015 Blogging from A to Z Challenge, with the topic of Dog Shows. In April I'm going to share everything I know about dog showing from a Newbie's point of view. I want to write the kind of blog I wanted to read three years ago. I've been researching and sketching out posts for the past few weeks. I hope that those of you who are curious about show dogs (and kooky show dog people) will stop by and check it out. Even more so, I hope that clueless, insecure-but-excited novice fanciers will stop by and learn from my mistakes. I know that a couple of my blogging buddies are experienced, successful dog show people. I hope you will join me in April as well, to both correct my mistakes and add some valuable insight.

So you see, I haven't abandoned this blog and all of you kind enough to read it. But it appears that I can't convert recipes, research and sketch out future posts, train my dog and keep writing new posts all at the same. While working. And (sorta) keep up with housework and laundry. So until I can quit my job and hire a housekeeper, things are going to slow down a bit. Dammit.

Thanks for reading my mindless ramblings. Thank you Ruckus, Bentley and Koda and Crew for hosting Thoughtless Thursday, thus giving me an excuse. ("No I'm not scatterbrained, I was being 'thoughtless' on purpose. It's the theme!") BTW, this is my favorite hop. Click around below and visit some of my not-so-thoughtless colleagues. Lucky for you, all but one of them are more sane than I am. You get to guess who that one is! Luv ya, -- K


No comments:

Post a Comment